Lamp Post with Timer

Old 10-27-00, 07:31 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Hello,

With daylight savings time coming up it's gonna get darker when I get home so I wanted to install a light with a timer for my front post light.

I really have no idea where to start. Do you buy a whole separate light fixture with a timer already "built in" or do you buy a separate timer and install it within the light fixture or somewhere inside the house near the light switch?

Thanks.

Old 10-27-00, 08:33 AM
Visiting Guest
What you may wish to consider is one of the lights with the concealed light or motion sensor built in. There are several available in various styles, including post mount, and are very easy to install; and look much nicer than the add on parts.

Old 10-27-00, 11:57 AM
Visiting Guest
I have to agree with MrRonFL. I recently replaced the fixtures on the front of my house with some dusk-to-dawn motion sensor lights. These are available as post mounted fixtures also, and they have several different settings. They can be just regular motion sensing, so when it's dark enough the light comes one when something warm moves. Or, they can come on at 30% brightness at dark, but switches up to full brightness when motion is detected. And, I think they can be set to just come on full at dusk, with no motion sensing.

I like them set to be on dim till something moves. It give a nice look to the house at night, and then if someone comes up to the front door the lights get brighter so they can see the steps. They drop back to 30% again after 4 or 15 minutes (selectable).

[This message has been edited by ranck (edited October 27, 2000).]

Old 10-27-00, 12:08 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the advice!

Any brand name suggestions?

Old 10-27-00, 12:55 PM
Visiting Guest
Sorry, I can't remember the brand name of the ones I got. Most any big home center will have them though.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: