re-wiring existing light fixtures / junction boxes

Old 10-26-00, 11:16 PM
Visiting Guest
Red face

I recently purchased new light fixtures to install in my kitchen. I thought that it would be a simple matter of connecting the new wires. When I took the old fixtures off, I noticed that no one had used any insulation upon the initial install (house built in 1981), and the sheetrock had burn marks from the heat, as well as the insulation. The wires were so brittle the wire insulation broke off in my hands. So I opted to rewire. The wire was burnt some 6 inches up into the attic. We purchased new
Romex wire and spliced the existing wire up in the attic. We used wire connectors so there was no exposed wire at all, then carefully wrapped electrical tape around the connectors, then attached the connectors to the Romex wires with electrical tape, then electical taped the whole bunch of wires together securing them to the beam. They ain't movin! My question is, I know (now!)I was supposed to use a junction box to connect the splice wires. With as carefully as they were taped, is it really necessary for me to tear the wiring all out again and use the junction box? How much of a hazard is it not to use the junction box?

Old 10-27-00, 02:13 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool

I'm not an electrician, but you definitely need to use a covered junction box for these connections. Safety first for your family, and it is required by code. Good Luck!

Old 10-27-00, 03:34 PM
Visiting Guest
hello new at this,
u made several mistakes in your instulation.
first 1 was not useing a covered j-box, this is required by code and with out the splices being in 1 they can be damaged and cause a fire.
second mistake was wraping both the hot, nutural, and ground to gether even though they were wraped sepertaly first.
here is what u can do, and u wount have to totaly take your splices apart. remove the tape that joins the hot, nutural, and ground and place a 3/4" romex clamp over the wires at lest 6" back then take a 4 square box that has 3/4" ko's and mount it to the joist remove 1 of the ko's and place the wires in it and attach the lock nut. u may have to pass 1 wirenit threw at a time, then install the cover.
now im going to address another issue im woundering abought. from the info in your post it sounds like there is no celling box at the lights. if this in dead is the case u must install 1 this also is a code vilation. if u need to install a box, u can do this with out going into the attic. all u need to do is buy 4-O old work boxes,turn off power, remove the light, trace the box on celling, cut it out , put wires in box, place in cut out, and tighten the ears, replace light.

Old 10-28-00, 02:07 AM
Visiting Guest
Talking

Thank you everyone so far for your help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: