Elecrical Continuing a run

Old 10-29-00, 04:23 PM
Visiting Guest
I have wired 12 gauge 3 wire with ground and 2 wire with ground to a switch. (The 2 wire is already wired to a light) I want the switch to act independently on the run so it will not impact the 3 wire with ground as its going to another room. How do I wire the switch to acomplish this, and do I need a 3 way switch?

Old 10-29-00, 05:41 PM
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

John GIVE US A LITTLE MORE INFO 1. did you install light and ran a black wire from switch to light along with white wire from switch to light are was it allready installed and you are doing some rewiring .Do you have a black a red a white and a green or bare wire going to switch and a black and a white and a bare or green form light to switch if i am corect you may be doing something you can't or shouldn't do
run the black wire to switch box add a pigtail to it and go to switch and then on to next room then take the white wire and go to switch box make a tie with white wire from light and withe the white wire going to room now put the black wire from light on other side of switch , do not use the red wire. Check the wires coming from light and make sure the black is coming from light and not your panel box and make sure the white wire is not being used for the hot side of the light.

Old 10-29-00, 08:20 PM
Visiting Guest
I almost agree with Doc. He said we need a little more info. I think we need a lot more info.

Your post seems to imply that you personally ran this wire. If so, you know where the 12/3 comes from and what each of its wires is connected to. Please tell us.

If instead you did not run this wire, but are merely reporting on what you have found in a switch box, then I suspect that you cannot do what you want, at least not simply. Especially if the light is currently controlled by two switches, as seems to be implied by the 12/3 cable.

We need to understand why the 12/3 is a 12/3 and not a 12/2 (if you know, or tell us if you don't know).

Old 10-30-00, 05:54 PM
Visiting Guest
I agree with Doc and John

I also would like you to verify where the power source is. Is the power source at the light box or is it at the switch.

I think you can do what you want but you are lacking in facts in your question.

If you originally had power in the existing light box and you had the 12/2 originally from the light box to the switch box, then all you need to do is extend you hot, grouded leg and equipment grounding conductor from the light box to the switch box independently from the 12/2 switch leg. This is possible if your constant power source is in the light box. We need more info.

Good Luck

Wg

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: