Abandoning wire runs

Old 09-17-02, 09:21 PM
J
Visiting Guest
Abandoning wire runs

I am removing several old unused power ckts (mostky 240V ckts to baseboard heaters). The ckts have been disconnected from the breakers, and Im am in the process of physically removing them from the panel. I am also removing the wire (all BX) where I have open walls (entire downstairs).

The question is upsatirs where walls will be left intact. What is the best method for abandoning the BX?

My plan is to physically remove the BX from the panel end and cut it short, then cut the conductors in the t-stat box then loosen the cable clamp and shove them into the wall space (so neither end can be connected to a power source). Am i thinking correctly - am I on the right track here? Do I have to marke them in some fashion? Does the NEC address this - I'l; run to my local library and read up on it if you think it would help.

Thanks - Jim

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-02, 04:47 AM
S
Sparksone42
Visiting Guest
I say retire it in place!! Here's the one caviat to that statement, I am of the opinion that the reason the NEC directs the removal of cables would be to eliminate the possibility of fire transmission.

Whenever you start to remove cables from boxes and push them inside of the wall, I suppose there is a chance of them becoming a fie pathway due to the fact that they are no longer terminated in a box or panel. We have to close the spaces in the panel and or a box for the same reasons, if we don't then these items would be open to a combustible.

I would say that, where you can, you should completely eliminate any cable you can. Where you can't, do the best you can to make it so that the cable run that has to stay is limited to the wall that you can't get at. What I am trying to say is, if you have a cable in a wall and can't remove the cable, try to get the ends ( both if possible) back inside of the wall.

Good Luck!!!!

Last edited by aphares; 09-18-02 at 08:09 PM.
Old 09-18-02, 04:24 PM
A
Master Electrician
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unused cable:

This is what I can come up with, the cable would not be required to be removed, but to be closed at it's ends.

110.12 Mechanical Execution of Work.

(A) Unused Openings. ((Unused cable)) or raceway openings in boxes, raceways, auxiliary gutters, cabinets, cutout boxes, meter socket enclosures, equipment cases, or housings ((shall be effectively closed to afford protection substantially equivalent to the wall of the equipment.)) Where metallic plugs or plates are used with nonmetallic enclosures, they shall be recessed at least 6 mm (1/4 in.) from the outer surface of the enclosure.

If installing and this requirement is needed then it would have to be meet, and if removing, or shoving back into the wall, and this requirement applies, then also this Article would have to be meet.

300.21 Spread of Fire or Products of Combustion.

Electrical installations in hollow spaces, vertical shafts, and ventilation or air-handling ducts shall be made so that the possible spread of fire or products of combustion will not be substantially increased. Openings around electrical penetrations through fire-resistant-rated walls, partitions, floors, or ceilings shall be firestopped using approved methods to maintain the fire resistance rating.