exterior address light

Old 09-18-02, 03:44 PM
sknyfs
Visiting Guest
exterior address light

I ordered an exterior address light to install outside my house. Problem is my light is overhead and I need to add a small circuit to power this light.

I have an outlet I can get power from and here's what I want to do. I will drill a hole thru the brick for the mounting rod and another hole for the wires. I will install a box inside the house and use this box to house the switch and make connections to the light. The wires coming off the light are long enough. I just need to know are there any code requirements. DO I need to install a jbox, or will my way work. This way I install 1 box, make all connections there. As long as all connections are made in the switch box (which is accessable from inside the house) I'm OK... right.

Old 09-20-02, 03:52 AM
sknyfs
Visiting Guest
Somebody help me here..

I really do not want to drill out my brick facing. I need to kow if I can install a box basically behind the brick accessible from within the house.

I know the code says something about being able to get to all connections. Only these connections aren't exactly at teh light fixture, but behind it in the hose

Is this legal?

Old 09-20-02, 04:17 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You need to be able to access all connections, whether from inside or out. You also need to be able to mount the light to an electrical box, unless it is listed to act as its own box (like a tube type 2 or 4' flourescent fixture). In NYC everything must be metal, boxes, conduit, etc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: