Lightening/Ground Question

Old 09-19-02, 05:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lightening/Ground Question

I have seen posts on this forum dealing with grounding and dangers caused by lightening. So I am hoping I can get a response to a related question.

I have talked to people that have mounted their TV antennas in the attic of their houses to keep a clean roof line. I am moving into a house that has a very steep pitch roof and a lot of attic space. I am considering put the tv antenna in the attic. My question is this: Is there a concerns of lightening passing through the roof causing fire/damage? The answer seem obvious, but I know enough people who have done this and they don't seemed concerned. I was wondering if I am missing something?

Thanks,

abkent

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-02, 05:35 PM
There are many better ground conductors in your immediate area that will spare your attic mounted antenna. Most antenna are not good paths to ground, especially in the method they are installed at a residence.

Old 09-20-02, 04:23 AM
S
Sparksone42
Visiting Guest
abkent,

Ground that puppy!!!!

It won't take much to do so and why take the chance for the amount of work that you are going to have to put into grounding it.

HandyRon is right in that most antennae are not the best path to ground. This is a relative statement though. Many times an electrical service have taken some kind of strike without us knowing about it. When this happens it is possible, that if it went to the ground rod at the service, that a glass coating can form around the ground rod and make it less effective and this would heighten the risk of the lightning using your antenna and tv as the return path to ground.

Like I said earlier, for the time and effort that it takes to ground the antenna I think it's worth the $ 300.00 on up that the tv's go for.

Just my opinion

Old 09-20-02, 05:34 AM
Sparksone42,

Would you agree with HandyRon that it is safe to mount the TV Antenna in the attic? (grounded of course).

Thanks,

abkent

Old 09-20-02, 06:11 AM
S
Sparksone42
Visiting Guest
Sure, no problem with mounting the antenna in the attic. That's where mine is and I have never had a problem.

Old 09-20-02, 06:25 AM
J
It's safe, and I personally don't think grounding of an attic antenna is necessary. But depending on various factors, it will only be one fourth to one half as effective as an outside antenna. The factors are mostly what's in between the antenna and the outside in the direction of the broadcasting towers. Even an extra coat of shingles can make a difference.

Old 09-20-02, 06:31 AM
Just as a side note, the grounding conductor for the mast and metal structures supporting, must be #10 awg CU, #8 awg AL or 17 awg copper-clad steel or bronze. If your connection at the grounding electrode system is within 18 inches of the earth, then don't use aluminum. For those keeping score with a code book, Articles 810.15 and 810.21

Old 09-20-02, 06:34 AM
John,
I don't see any differentiation in the code regrding where the antenna is mounted, it still would need grounding. Although I can see your logic.