splice

Old 11-10-00, 08:07 AM
Visiting Guest
Red face

In a junction box I have a feed, the switch leg for the light, and last the wire running down to the switch, a total of 3 neutrals and 3 hots, how is this splice made?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-00, 12:13 PM
Visiting Guest
Is there a switch in this box? If not, I think you and I have different definitions of a "switch leg". Anyway, if there is no switch, I think you should just connect all like-colored wires -- not sure what other choices there would be.

If you're asking how to connect wires, the answer is with wire nuts.

If for any reason you think this might not be right, please post again.

Old 11-10-00, 02:02 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi Brian,

Here is how the wiring must be done if this is in fact a junction box and the switch is a dead-end loop.
The white of the feed wirenut to white of wire going to light.
The black of the feed wirenut to the white of the switch cable. The black of the switch cable wirenut to the black of the light cable.
That's it.

Old 11-10-00, 02:07 PM
Visiting Guest
I assume you are talking about a junction box that has three two-conductor (plus ground) cables coming into it: (1) the power feed, (2) a cable going to another box with a light fixture, and (3) a cable going to another box with a switch. The switch obviously is meant to control the light.

Disclaimer: I am not an electrician, but I have seen similar circuits before.

In this case, connect the power feed neutral to the neutral running to the light; connect the power feed hot wire to the hot wire running to the switch; mark the white wire running to the switch as "hot" (it is no longer neutral since it will be energized when the switch is turned on) and connect it to the hot wire running to the light. Of course connect the grounds together. In the switch box again mark the white wire as "hot" and connect the switch between the two.

Old 11-10-00, 02:22 PM
Visiting Guest
Okay, I didn't see it before, but both these posts make a lot of sense. I agree more with David than Mike, since I understand the 1999 NEC requires that power return from the switch on the black rather than the white, which would mean that power must go to the switch on the white.

Old 11-12-00, 02:35 PM
Visiting Guest
thanks for your help guys, splice turned out great after you explained it and i thought about it.