2 wire conductor

Old 11-14-00, 03:00 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I was working in the basement. I wanted to move the outlet. Before I removed the oultet, I checked with the tester. It showed normal. I separated the outlet from the metal conductor. I tried to touch and got shocked. I was puzzled and examined the outlet and box. It had two wire conductor. I rechecked with the tester. It showed open ground. Did the metal box act a part of ground? (I dont thought so). In past, I worked with the power tool. The power usually tripped off. Do I have to rewire the whole system in the basement with 3 wire conductor? Or is there any way you recommend? Thanks

Old 11-14-00, 03:19 PM
Visiting Guest
hello ottie,
from the info contained in your post it sounds like the box is grounded and the outlet gets its ground threw the screws that hold it to the box. whin u removed it from the box u also removed the ground. easest way to tell if the box is grounded is to take a tester and place it between the box and the gold screw of the out let if u get a reading of aprox 120V then the box is grounded. if the box is grounded i sugest u attach a jumper wire between the box and the green screw of the outlet. the most likley reasion u got zaped is u were working a live outlet and touched the gold screw. at this time i dont have enough info to tell u if you need to rewire the basement but i rather doubght that u will. let us know what u find out on this.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: