Running wiring from Well Pump house to outside stroage


Old 11-11-00, 08:16 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

I live in the country. I want to run 110 power to an outside storage. The utilities/equipment that will run off of the storage power source will be one or two (two tube)floresent hanging fixtures, a power source for electrical fence (low voltage) and power tools (Saw, sander, drill or router). Obivously not at the same time with the exception of the lights. I already run 12 gauge outside wiring in pvc buried along with seperate pvc water supply line. These are run from the immidiate proximity of well pump house that has its on breaker box, to the wall of stroage shed. I would appreciate some advice as to things like:
l. Do I need a subpanel box in the storage?
2. Do I need a special setup for where the power line goes thru the storage wall? I had planned to run all of the lines to the various boxes and switches in pvc. I know most people run conduit but the pvc is easier to work with if it will do the job. Again, all of the wiring will be 12 gauge even in the storage.

Thank you for this site and everyones help,

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-00, 07:35 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

I personally would put in a small breaker box. You can get a small 6 circuit box for less than $30 or so. PVC could be used but you should look into AC cable if your looking for something that will be protected and is easy to use. AC is a metallic flexible conduit with #12 guage wire already installed in it. You would then use metal boxes if you decide to go this route make sure to ground all of your metal boxes. Anyway good luck hope this helped. If you would like any further help give me a hollar at [email protected]

Nathan Smith
mailto:[email protected]
Working on a home project and have an electrical question?Get your questions answered by a Journeyman electrician, visit my free message board at:

Old 11-11-00, 07:42 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

Personally I would install a small breaker box in your shed. You can get a small six circuit box for less than $30 or so. Next I would use AC cable instead of PVC to wire the shed. AC is metallic flexible conduit with the wire already installed in the conduit. It's very easy to use and if you use it you should also use metallic boxes. The only reason I would use PVC is if the shed is not enclosed and will get wet inside. Well I hope this helped and if you have any further questions look me up, i'd be glad to help.

Nathan Smith
mailto:[email protected]
Working on a home project and have an electrical question?Get your questions answered by a Journeyman electrician, visit my free message board at:
Old 11-12-00, 09:20 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

before doing anything you need to be sure that the wiring coming from your main to the well sub panel is a 4 wire system ,if you only have the 2 hots and a ground then you are going to have to back up and run a neutral {grounded conductor } to the well panel and then to your storage panel .DO NOT try using the ground wire for both ground and neutral {grounded conductor }
Old 11-13-00, 09:28 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a


If you're running only a single branch circuit to the shed, skip the subpanel. It will complicate life a lot (you'll have to drive a ground rod at the shed).

Stick with the PVC couduit. AC cable is not easy to work with (it's easy to nick the conductor insulation when removing the armor), and doesn't offer any advantages that I can see.

Conduit allows you to pull in different wire in the future if you need to. Use 3/4" schedule 40 and sweep elbows.

And, as long as you don't want 240 volts out there, you don't need a 4-wire circuit; three is just fine (a hot, a neutral, and a ground).

Good luck.
Old 11-14-00, 05:50 PM
BoatMech's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Los angeles
Posts: 592
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

What Cap said is quite agreeable to me. He is right that if you are running just one 120 volt 20 amp circuit to this garage then install a switch to be used as the required disconnect and run all devices using the one circuit. Be aware that this limits the equipment load to that one 20 amp circuit, but if you have little load in that garage you are legal with just the one 20 amp single pole switch as the main disconnect.

Now as for conduit, if you have a cement block garage then you should use some type of conduit. You seem to be happy with PVC then use PVC. This wiring style will meet code. If you have a wood frame garage even with metal siding it is approved by the NEC to run Romex [non metallic sheathed cable]. There is no problem running conduit underground from the main structure to the detached garage, then switching to Romex once inside the garage by using a junction box and wire nuts. Remember to install all receptacles in that garage with GFI protection.

Good Luck

Old 11-14-00, 06:58 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

Hve to dis agre here a little if he is coming off the well pump wiring and we are seeing it as a 220 volt single phase system he is going to need 4 wires if not are you suggesting he uses the ground as the neutral { grounded conductor} and the ground
as the same wire .Most pumps that in all the well houses I have ever been around are only 3 wires 2 hots and ground so where does he get his neutral from ?
Old 11-14-00, 07:20 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

Wg & Doc--

You're absoltively right.

Switch needed in shop building as a "disconnect".

And-duh!-I'll bet the pump is 240V, not 120-240V. So a 4th wire will have to be pulled in or a new 4-wire cable laid from the main panel to the well pump panel. Then he can go from there with a 3-wire circuit to the shop.

Best regards.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: