NEC

Old 11-12-00, 08:34 PM
Visiting Guest
Does anyone know how I can get a copy of the NEC? Is it available on the web? Is it expensive to buy? Is it readable by a non-electrician?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-00, 02:53 PM
Visiting Guest
Arrow

The NEC is updated every 3 years, the next one will be 2002.
Bookstores are the most expensive places to buy the NEC is any of its editions.
There is a standard softcover-red-$40
full handbook with pictures-hardcover-$90
and Changes-softcover-$20
The prices are approximate-in electrical supply houses. The internet offers them for even cheaper.
The readability can vary from one to the next non-electrician. Technically aware and comprehending people will not have such trouble if they are familiar with even just residential wiring. It would be a reccomendation if you were to completely rewire you r own house and want to read all of the details for yourself.
A guide like Audel's collection of books is a begining step for people in your position I think. I was given one about 4 years ago and is a first step towards understanding general wiring methods etc. It is a hardcover book yellow/white with red title.
about 5x8"

gj

Old 11-13-00, 05:21 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Try hitting the search engine. I believe Mike Holt. com has the NEC available on the NET. Be aware that the NEC is not a user friendly electrical book. This book is written on an advisory basis with intention of local and State jurisdictions to adopt the NEC as law, and used as law.

It takes formal instructions with formats in order to utilize the NEC properly. The rules pertaining to a certain subject bounces back and forth through out the NEC rules just to accomplish one action. I don't mean to cause alarm and scare you from the NEC. I teach the NEC State wide in my area. It takes a long time to be able to utilize the NEC. This book is complicated to use properly.

Good Luck

Hope this helps

Wg

Old 11-13-00, 08:25 PM
Visiting Guest
Davelila,

The NEC is not available on-line.

Well, unless you're a member of the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) which develops and publishes it. Dues in the NFPA are about $100/year.

The previous poster is absolutely right about the Code NOT being user-friendly. In fact, there are several books published that interpret the Code! Those cost $80-100 each. Professionals in the electrical field spend many happy hours discussing what the words in the Code really mean...

If you want help doing some residential wiring, get any of the good books which distill the Code for you and explain how to actually do the work. "Residential Electrical Wiring" by Traister is one. Even the guides by Sunset or Ortho are pretty good on the smple things. And they have excellent illustrations.

Good luck.

Old 11-14-00, 03:54 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cap, I don't know how he is doing it but Mike Holt does have the 99 NEC electronic version on line free to anyone that agrees not to abuse the site. I am a member of the IAEI and NFPA, but I went on the site with the NEC 99 on Mr. Holts site and was not asked if I was a member. As far as I can tell it is available to anyone. You might try it at; http://www.mikeholt.com/nec/nec.htm

Wg

Old 11-14-00, 07:27 PM
Visiting Guest
Wg,

Thanks for setting me straight.

I'm curious about the copyright aspect of putting the Code on the web. But Mike is a square guy and a smart one, so I'm sure it's kosher.

Best regards.