Adding a receptacle

Old 11-15-00, 04:07 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I need to add a receptacle between 2 already exisitng receptacles, not sure how to do this.
The 2 existing ones are connected, can I cut the wires in between and connect them to the new receptacle, like daisy chaining them or ??

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-00, 04:10 PM
Visiting Guest
In theory yes, but there may not be enough slack in the line to have room to wire the new outlet. So you may have to replace the line from the center to one of the outlets.

This type of modification is about the simplest thing you can do to home wiring. You should be able to find instructions and illustrations where you buy your outlet.

Old 11-15-00, 04:49 PM
Visiting Guest
hello Dutchy,
i have never been lucky enough to be abel to simply cut the box in and cut the existing run and add the recep. what i do is cut the wall for the new box and c what way the wire runs. whin the wire runs threw the wall, i disconect the wire at the closest existing box remove the box from the wall remove the stapel above the box tie on new romex and pull it to the new location, this allways gives me enough wire to make up the recep, i then install 2 old work boxes and install the recepts. if the wire does not run threw the wall i fish wire into an existing recep and then into new location. every job is deferent, and i cant c yours so i cant tell you best way to do yours. if nether of these 2 sugestions fit your situation let us know your situation with as much info as possabel and well try to provide you with a sulation.