lights in bathroom

Old 11-14-00, 07:59 PM
Visiting Guest
just noticed that none of the lights in one bathroom work (a panel of lights controlled by one switch and a shower light controlled by another switch). fuse is not blown and nothing unusual has happened. of note (maybe), a television in another room stopped working several days ago, which we presumed at the time to be inherent to the tv. now we wonder whether these may represent some circuit problem and what should be done to investigate/correct. any thoughts would be appreciated.

thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-00, 08:36 PM
Visiting Guest
If you have any GFCI outlets, try resetting them first. If you don't know what they are, you can learn all you need by searching this forum for "GFCI".

Old 11-16-00, 10:21 AM
Visiting Guest
I wonder if this might have something to do with all the additional power used by the ballot counting machines down there. Should let up some now that the hand counting has started.

But seriously folks, to clarify John's reply a bit, most newer homes have a GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interruptor) receptacle in the bathroom. I wired my light and fan through one of them, and if it trips I will have the same situation you described here. A GFCI has little "test" and "reset" buttons between the 2 outlets right on the front. Sometimes it trips because of a fault, sometimes because you bumped it with the back of your knuckle while plugging in the hair dryer. Go to the bathroom and push the reset button if this is a GFCI. If this doesn't get your juice back, go to others and see if they're GFCIs.

Another question: You didn't say your fan doesn't work. If it does work, try replacing the light switch.

Hope that helps. If these suggestions don't solve your problem post a reply here, and somebody will try to help further. If we solved it please let us know so we can feel that we've done our good deed for the day.

And don't forget the eyes of the nation are upon you!

JH