No power to switch

Old 11-13-00, 10:03 AM
Visiting Guest
Angry

We replaced a switch and two wall sconces the switch controls.

I wired the new switch identically to the way the old switch was wired - black to black and white to white. It did not work. Did the same with the two new wall sconces and they did not work.

I tested the wires in the switch box and the wires in the wall sconces and none of the wires have power. Everything else on the same fuse appears to have power. I even changed all the fuses in the fuse box just in case I missed something. Possibly the wires in the wall sconces don't have power because of whatever the problem is in the switch box.

Within the switch box I discovered another set of black and white wires tucked in the back. These wires are joined together with a wire nut. They appear to have something to do with the plug below the switch. Possibly the previous owners controlled the plug from the switch. However, these wires were not connected to the previous switch - they do have power.

I am stumped. Have tested the wires with a meter and other things and there is definitely no power going to the switch. The only thing we did between taking out the old switch and putting in a new one was paint.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-00, 11:08 AM
Visiting Guest
You have to find your power. It is there somewhere, I think it is in one of the two sconce boxes. The wires that are in your switch box joined together probably go to a previously switched outlet. They were tied together so the outlet has continuous power. This means the installer did not take power from the switch box. Also, since you have a black and white in the switch box, this means power is taken from somewhere else. In one sconce box, you should have one set of black and white. In the other, you should have three sets of black and white. (If my assumption is correct). Your power should come from the box with three sets of black and white. Hold a probe to one black wire and touch the whites one at a time. Then test the other black wire the same. When you find power, connect black to switch white. Connect switch black to each light's black. Connect two whites in one box and one white in the other to light whites. On the switch, black and white can go to either terminal.
Please ensure what I say is correct before you proceed. Like I said, if you have one sconce box with three cables (3 sets of black and white), this has to be your power. Also, I've left out grounds for ease of explanation. Ground all switches, boxes and fixtures.

Old 11-13-00, 04:32 PM
Visiting Guest
Angry

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Handyone:
You have to find your power. It is there somewhere, I think it is in one of the two sconce boxes. The wires that are in your switch box joined together probably go to a previously switched outlet. They were tied together so the outlet has continuous power. This means the installer did not take power from the switch box. Also, since you have a black and white in the switch box, this means power is taken from somewhere else. In one sconce box, you should have one set of black and white. In the other, you should have three sets of black and white. (If my assumption is correct). Your power should come from the box with three sets of black and white. Hold a probe to one black wire and touch the whites one at a time. Then test the other black wire the same. When you find power, connect black to switch white. Connect switch black to each light's black. Connect two whites in one box and one white in the other to light whites. On the switch, black and white can go to either terminal.
Please ensure what I say is correct before you proceed. Like I said, if you have one sconce box with three cables (3 sets of black and white), this has to be your power. Also, I've left out grounds for ease of explanation. Ground all switches, boxes and fixtures.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>There is only one set of wires in each wall sconce. There is a chandelier in the dining room - we also replaced and it works. There were bunches of black and white wires in the ceiling fixture tucked back - we didn't touch them. Possibly these are the power for the other end of the room - and maybe we knocked them putting in the chandelier?

Old 11-14-00, 04:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I wonder did the wall switch control just the wall fixtures? Is it possible that the wall switch controlled the ceiling fixture and the wall fixtures. Did the wall fixtures originally work before you replaced them? I wonder if these wall fixture wires went to the ceiling junction box and those wall fixture wires were de energized in the ceiling fixture.

Let us know what you discover considering the above suggestions. We may still be able to help you.

Wg

Old 11-17-00, 07:56 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mcnulty:
We replaced a switch and two wall sconces the switch controls.

I wired the new switch identically to the way the old switch was wired - black to black and white to white. It did not work. Did the same with the two new wall sconces and they did not work.

I tested the wires in the switch box and the wires in the wall sconces and none of the wires have power. Everything else on the same fuse appears to have power. I even changed all the fuses in the fuse box just in case I missed something. Possibly the wires in the wall sconces don't have power because of whatever the problem is in the switch box.

Within the switch box I discovered another set of black and white wires tucked in the back. These wires are joined together with a wire nut. They appear to have something to do with the plug below the switch. Possibly the previous owners controlled the plug from the switch. However, these wires were not connected to the previous switch - they do have power.

I am stumped. Have tested the wires with a meter and other things and there is definitely no power going to the switch. The only thing we did between taking out the old switch and putting in a new one was paint.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thank you for your help. The power for the switch was in the chandelier and as it worked out the neutral wire was loose. All lights are now working!