Replacing 3-prong 220 power cord with 4-prong

Old 11-17-00, 07:40 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Just moved into a new house with a 4-prong 220-30 power outlet in the laundry room. Our dryer has a 3-prong power cord which I am attempting to replace. The dryer's connector block is wired to the power cord as follows -- black to black, red to red, and white + yellow to white. The new power cord has black, red, white and green wires which I believe should be connected -- black to black, red to red, white to white and yellow to green. Does this make sense?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-00, 10:01 AM
Visiting Guest
hello patncary,
sounds correct to me. but look at your dryers wireing diagram to be sure what the yellow and white do, i have seen some dryers use the yellow as the nutural. in the 4 wire cord the white is the nutural, and green is ground. im also transfering this post to the appliance section they know the wireing of dryers better and can offer some good sugestions.

Old 11-19-00, 10:45 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The green wire must be connected to the frame of the dryer. That yellow wire I suspect runs the grounded side of the motor, but this yellow wire in not right! A yellow wire must be used only as an ungrounded conductor [hot only]. You said it was connected to the neutral. The color coding is not right. I suspect someone has changed that yellow wire in the field inside that dryer. The yellow wire does not meet the design required by Under Writers Labrotory.

Be extremely cautous on this one. If this yellow wire is misidentified, connected to the grounding conductor then you will have a current carrying conductor on a bare wire in the walls. Know where this wire goes to for sure before you energize or try to use this dryer. This yellow wire does not meet minimum designs required in an appliance if it is used as a grounded conductor.

Beware

Wg