Adding outdoor lights on brick wall.

Old 11-18-00, 08:42 AM
Visiting Guest
I have 2 outdoor lights I want to add on the brick wall on each side of my garage. My handyman friend tells me all I have to do is chip out the brick, drill up to my attic using his 6ft flexible drill bit and run the wire back to my panel and then add a switch. I'm a little reluctant to to try and chip a hole in my brick wall. Anybody have any advise or has done this before?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-00, 10:21 AM
Visiting Guest
hello theodores1,
every situation is deferent,and i cant see you situation so i cant tell you best way to go abought this. i have removed sections of brick and installed a box whin adding lights and i have used surface mounted boxes as well. simpelest and easest way to do this if possabel is to drill threw the brick at a highth that will gain u axcess to the rafter area of the garage, then drill threw the sheeting and run your wire back to the panel, and mount a surface mounted box.

Old 11-19-00, 11:02 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have tried the way Spraky is suggesting and I have done the way your brick layer if suggesting. I had one heck of a time transcending from the hole drilled in the brick to the top plate. I ended up cutting a hole in the drywall inside and placing a dumby box in the drywall that I cut.

I feel that cutting out the brick would be your best choice considering the fishing of the wires in the wall to the top plate.

When I cut out a brick for a light box, I use a 1/4" masonry drill bit and use a hammer drill to drill a series of holes through mortar around the brick. I then just start beating the brick and the mortar falls apart if you have the 1/4" holes drilled close enough all the way around that brick. Once you have the brick out, I would not use the flex drill bit. You have insulation in that outside wall that will ball up around the drill and you will never get the drill back out. I would open a vent in the soffitt. The vents are usually just installed with small nails bent over. Take out the nearest vent in your soffit and poke a hole through your celtex or tectefoam into the stud space from inside your soffitt area. This will put you in the wall area. Then take a fish tape and shove this tape down sliding along the drywall thus not messing up your insulation. Then reach through your hole in the brick and grab the fish taped. Tie you romex to the fish tape and pull into your soffitt. Then you should have an opening to your attic from your soffitt into your attic. Do this on both lights then make a junction in the attic connecting your power and your switch in that accessible juntion in the attic. You can fish the wire down to your switch using the same method. When you have your wiring through the brick just use a plastic wall box if the fixture is light in weight. If it is heavy then chip out the brick to make a round hole to accept the light box. Once you have the box in place then motor that box in place and let it cure. Then mount your fixtures and you have light.

Hope this helps

Wg