light switch has stopped working. what to do?

Old 11-18-00, 04:55 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

After 10 years and no changes to the electrical system in my house, the light switch in the living room has (to a hanging lamp )has stopped working. I have tried the obvious solutions - replacing the bulb, the switch, the wiring connections to the lamp itself - with no success. What can I try now? Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-00, 08:48 AM
Visiting Guest
It could be possible that the center (hot)contact in your fixture has broken off, become oxidized or has been bent back far enough not to make contact. This could be from replacing bulbs in it for 10 years. Anyway it sounds as if the problem is in the fixture. Good luck!
Theodores1

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fletcher:
After 10 years and no changes to the electrical system in my house, the light switch in the living room has (to a hanging lamp )has stopped working. I have tried the obvious solutions - replacing the bulb, the switch, the wiring connections to the lamp itself - with no success. What can I try now? Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks in advance.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 11-18-00, 10:28 AM
Visiting Guest
hello fletcher,
your problem could be a loose connection. check the connections in the switch and light. if u have axcess to a volt meter verify that there is voltage at the switch, by placeing 1 probe on each of the screws an the switch and other on the bare wire, with the switch on you shuld get a reading on both screws, if not then the switch is bad if you get a reading on only 1 screw if you get no reading on eather screw then power isnt getting to the switch., let us know what you find out so we can offer sugestions on a fix.

Old 11-19-00, 11:14 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If your dwelling was wired around the 10 year mark then your power source to the fixture should be coming from a nearby receptacle or from the light fixture itself. I would check for a loose connection in the light fixture. If you only have one romex going to that fixture then I would check for a bad connection in the switch box, most likely a wire nut in the box if you already replaced the switch. If all is good then I would take out the receptacles in the area, even on the other side of the wall in adjoining rooms, of that switch and look at the back of the receptacles to see if they were just plugged in, if so then check for a loose connection where the wires plug into those receptacles. You also may be getting power from a nearby double or triple switch box. Take out the switches in nearby double or triple switches in any room close to that dead switch and look for a wire not in a wire nut properly.

If you have a volt meter then check for voltage between the black screw of the switch to the bare wire. Sparky didn't clearify and may have confused you in the way I read what he said. He is right, just lead me to think to measure from screw to screw of the switch and you won't get a voltage reading from screw to screw. I don't think he meant it that way but it could be misunderstood the way he said it.

Hope this helps

Wg

Old 11-19-00, 11:16 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Let us know if our replies help or not. If it does work it gives us a good fealing that we were able to help. If our replies didn't help we will try again.

Good Luck

Wg