Adding a 2nd switch to a ceiling light

Old 11-19-00, 05:47 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Hello. I am finishing my basement and have a light at the bottom of the stairs controlled by a switch at the top of the stairs. I would like to add a switch at the bottom of the stairs, but am not sure how the wiring should go. I am a beginner at wiring... I have successfully wired several outlets but have not done any switches yet. Any sites you would suggest for diagrams?
Thanks!!

Old 11-19-00, 08:56 AM
Visiting Guest
First, you need to figure out how to run a 14/3 cable from the switch at the top of the stairs to where you want to switch at the bottom of the stairs. Once you do that, everything is easy.

Do that first, and then ask again.

Old 11-19-00, 12:03 PM
Visiting Guest
quote:<HR>Originally posted by John Nelson:
First, you need to figure out how to run a 14/3 cable from the switch at the top of the stairs to where you want to switch at the bottom of the stairs. Once you do that, everything is easy.

Do that first, and then ask again.
<HR>

Thanks... OK, I'm able to get a 14/3 cable from the switch at the top of the stairs to the switch at the bottom. (I assume 14/3 means 14 gauge, 3 wires- black-white-bare) Now what?

Old 11-19-00, 12:05 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
John is right you will have to be able to run a 3 wire cable between the old switch and the new switch.

If the power is in the light fixture box then try the following; Run a 12 or 14/3 matching the size wire existing on the circuit btween the switches. At the top switch connect the white of the two wire cable to the white of the three wire cable and reidentify those two white wire as black or red with a colored re-identifiction tape. Then go to the light fixture and make sure the white wire is connected to the power source black wire re-identifying the white as black or red. Connect the white power wire to the white of the light fixture. Then connect the black wire coming from the switch to the black wire of the fixture. Now go the top switch and connect the black wire of the 2 wire cable to the black or brass screw of the three way switch and then connect the black and red wire of the 3 wire cable to the other two screws not mattering which screw to which. Then go to the bottom switch and re-identify the white wire as black or red and connect that re-idetified wire to the black or brass screw of the three way switch. Then connect the black and red wire to the other two screws not mattering which goes to which screw. Energize the circuit and you should have light.

IF you have power going to the light switch then to the fixture as your existing design the read the next reply.

Good Luck

Wg

Old 11-19-00, 12:21 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you have power in the switch then a switch leg run to the light fixture then try wiring as follows;

Take out your single pole switch. You should already have the white of existing power wire nutted to the white goind to the light fixture. Then connect the black of the 12 or 14/3 cable to the black going to the light fixture. Connect the black of the 2 wire cable to the black or brass screw of the three way switch. Re-identify the white of the 3 wire cable as black. Connect the re-identified white and the red wire of the three wire cable to the other two screws of the three way switch not caring which is which.
Then go down to the other three way switch and connect the black to the brass or black screw of the three way switch. Re-identify the white as black with the re-identification tape and connect that re-identified wire and the red wire to the other two screws of the three way switch not caring which one is which. Energize the circuit and you should have light.

Good Luck

Wg

Old 11-19-00, 12:36 PM
Visiting Guest
In most cases, when someone talks about the
number of wires in a cable, they usually mean
only the quanity if insulated wires, the presence of a bare ground wire a given.

So a 14/3 would hve 3 insulated wires,
black, red, white, and 1 bare wire,in an insulated sheath.

Old 11-19-00, 01:04 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks. i guess the first thing I need to do is get 14/3 wire... I don't have the red!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: