Recessed IC Lights - Supply Wires

Old 11-19-00, 08:35 PM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

I'm replacing some older ceiling fixtures in my house with IC recessed lighting. Two problems / questions have popped up:

1) Lights call for supply wire that will withstand 90 degrees C. How do I know if my current wiring will meet that? It is marked "Hatfield Hatflex 14-2 Ground Type NM". House was built in 1967. If the wiring isn't spec'd to 90 degrees C - do I simply put in a junction box and run new wiring to the light fixture?

2) IC lighting states that I can put the insulation in contact with the light but what about the joists? I seem to be hearing that it is OK but then I've also read I should keep it 1" from joists. I prefer to keep it at the joists as that is where existing box is positioned.

Any advice is greatly apreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-00, 10:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Type NMB cable [romex] installed back in the 60's had type tw wire in that cable rated at 60 degree C. The new cable [Romex] has type THHN wire in it rated at 90 degrees C. as required by UL to be approved. Normal practice back then was to connecct the 60 degree Romex the same as the 90 degree Romex is today. If you can easily make a junction switching from the old Romex to the new Romex and then running to the recessed tank you would meet the Code requirements as long as that junction is accessible.

The type IC recessed tanks approved for direct contact with insulation is allowed to be in contact with the framing members. [wood].

Hope this helps.

Wg