Broken Wire

Old 11-20-00, 04:59 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Hello,

I'm in the process of wiring lamps to my front porch. It's a 1951 cape with the original wiring. The wires aren't the usual white and black coded ones. Instead they're just two copper wires with a black casing around them.

Here's my problem:

When I disconnected one of the old light fixtures I then removed the circular plastic casing to get a better grip on the outcoming wires. I pulled on one of those wires to expose more of it so I could connect the new fixture. Well, I guess I pulled too hard and I tore off a good portion of that wire such that it's now virtually impossible to connect something to it since it's now so recessed within the wall.

Is it possible to soder another wire to this one? Or should I simply call an electrician to come out and rewire it for us?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-00, 11:09 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It sounds like the old lights produced enough heat to damage the wires at those light boxes. A wire should not be able to be pulled apart without damage being present. I would hire and electrician to have those wire repaired back to good wire or better yet I would have him replace those wires. Sounds like a fire hazard as you describe it.

Good Luck

Wg