cutting shield from bx

Old 11-19-00, 06:09 PM
Visiting Guest
Does anyone have any magic tricks for trimming off a length of shield from bx wiring? I've been using the unsatisfactory hackswaw/side cutters & bend till the joint fatigues technique- a real drag, leaves a horrible edge on the seach and often can damage the insulation beneath.

Thanks,

Gregm

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-00, 06:57 PM
Visiting Guest
Gregm,

Get a roto-zip tool made by Seatek (in Samford Conn, I believe). It's a die-cast piece with a channel for the cable and a very fine-toothed circular blade about 3" in diameter with a crank handle to spin the blade. adjust the depth of the blade and drop the cable in, turn the crank, and squeeze the body of the tool, bringing the cable into contact with the blade.

You get a clean cut and no damage to the conductor insulation.

Ideal also made a pliers-type tool that snipped the armor at an oblique angle. I have one, but I'm not sure they're still making 'em.

Either way, it's gonna cost you about $25.

Good luck (and do you really mean MC cable? BX isn't allowed for new work in my neck of the woods anymore).

Old 11-19-00, 08:25 PM
Visiting Guest
Janet
You can purchase a BX cutter at Home Depot
Lowes or any elecrical supply house.
They are well worth the money.
Good Luck
sr

Old 11-20-00, 04:17 PM
Visiting Guest
[QUOTE]Originally posted by trunkpuncher:
[B]Gregm,

Get a roto-zip tool made by Seatek (in Samford Conn, I believe). It's a die-cast piece with a channel for the cable and a very fine-toothed circular blade about 3" in diameter with a crank handle to spin the blade. adjust the depth of the blade and drop the cable in, turn the crank, and squeeze the body of the tool, bringing the cable into contact with the blade.

Cool. Thanks. I'll look for one. I was using the term "bx" to refer to armored cable. Its for a short runs, and from the text I read (a B&D wiring book) for the garbage disposal wiring, it is required. I've done rewiring in a couple other places where the tool would've been handy.

Gregm

Old 11-20-00, 07:47 PM
Visiting Guest
the tool your looking for is the roto-split