New wiring needed

Old 11-13-00, 11:05 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I'm about to buy a house that was built in 1948. It appears to have a new breaker box, but I know the wiring in the house is old.

I'm wondering if updating the wiring is as simple as pulling new wire through the existing conduit? If not, what else will I need to do?

Thank You

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-00, 04:29 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool

David,
I'm not an electrician, but I highly doubt that you're going to find much electrical conduit in residential construction, especially in 1948.
Re-wiring a home is much more complicated than that.
You need to get at least 3 bids from licensed electricians, and check references (cheapest isn't always best).
Good Luck!

Old 11-21-00, 06:45 AM
Visiting Guest
There's more to it that recommending an electrician. If you have a reasomable amount of electrical experience. My house was built circa 1877, and had an old fuse box that was overloaded. Over the last few years I replaced older circuits one by one as time and money allowed, to the point where all but one old circuit remains now (knob & tube). And finally this year I upgraded the service, installing a 150 amp/30 space breaker panel.

It's a real pain sometimes, but patience and careful planning will eventually produce a decent electrical system. If you think you have the ability and perserverence, but perhaps lack the solid experience, I recommend a home wiring book that has a focus on the 1999 NEC, and that you just start out slowly. You will probably end up running NM cable (romex) throughout the house, installing new wall boxes here & there, busting a couple holes in certain walls and making a few dumb mistakes. As long as you put safety first, you'll be OK. And when you get into dilemnas, check in here. I can't imagine anywhere else that offers such caring and knowledgable advice.

Then again, if you have no idea whatsoever what you're doing electrically, listen to OldGuy! Sometimes that IS the best advice.

JH