Replacing existing main panels

Old 11-19-00, 01:28 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I've got 3 older panels that feed various parts of the house, and would like to install a new larger panel in their place.

I'm wondering what the best way to get the existing wires into the new box would be?

Can I remove the guts from the existing panels and splice new wires to run into the new box? Seems to me that this would turn the old boxes into juntion boxes, but I'm not sure if this is allowed to be done.

Not sure what else to do since the existing wires would not be long enough to swing into the new box.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Gavin

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-00, 04:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The way that you discribed is exactly what is considered normally accepted practice. Although you should check with your local elctrical inspector for how he or she would rule. The actual Code says that you are not allowed to adapt a product being the existing panels to be a junction box. Now the proper way to do the junctions are to purchase a junction box that is large enough to have the cubic inches required to contain the conductors you have in the box. You would calculate this according to article 370-16. If I were you I would do as you said adapting old panels to junction boxes by removing the guts and marking j-box on the surface ensuring that these junctions are always accessible.

I would run new circuits to any resistance loads such as dryers, ranges, water heaters. The connections in these circuits are inherent to bad connections possibly causing an overheating problem as the years go by.

Hope this helps

Wg

Old 11-21-00, 09:13 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping it would be that easy to do. Guess I've gotta go spend some money and go to work now!

Thanks again,

Gavin