Outlet conversion to electric dryer plug

Old 11-16-00, 11:18 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I need to convert a regular outlet to one for an electric dryer. In my garage the box is for the large electric outlet size with a traditional outlet in there instead. It has a red and white wire hookup but no 3rd wire for the electric dryer outlet. Do I need someone to run a third wire for ground there or can I convert it somehow? Help - it's too cold to hang clothes on the line!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-00, 06:26 AM
Visiting Guest
matw, An electric dryer is 220 volts, and your present circuit is 110. What you need is 10/3 with ground, typically is run in a single cable commonly known as Romex, or type NM. There will be a black and a red for your two "hots", a white for neutral, and a bare copper ground all inside an overall jacket. Also, you will need to install a 30 amp/2-pole circuit breaker that has nothing else on it but the dryer. Your conversion can't be done with the present wiring. If your wiring is installed in conduit, dedicated to that one receptacle only, and already #10, you can have a 3rd #10 wire pulled in. But if your existing wire is #12 or #14, or if there is anything else whatsoever on that circuit, don't use it! The dryer will overheat this gauge wire and could cause a fire.

Also, the box required is usually different than a standard 4 x 4. You can get a dryer receptacle to fit certain 4 x 4 boxes, but they also sell a specific self-housed dryer recep that is screwed directly to the wall, and is usually black or brown "bakelite" housing with a metal backplate.

Hope this helps.

JH

Old 11-19-00, 02:34 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply - this obviously won't be worth it since the dryer it 100 years old and the cost to move in the new wiring is not worth the time. My wife will be happy...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JuiceHead:
matw, An electric dryer is 220 volts, and your present circuit is 110. What you need is 10/3 with ground, typically is run in a single cable commonly known as Romex, or type NM. There will be a black and a red for your two "hots", a white for neutral, and a bare copper ground all inside an overall jacket. Also, you will need to install a 30 amp/2-pole circuit breaker that has nothing else on it but the dryer. Your conversion can't be done with the present wiring. If your wiring is installed in conduit, dedicated to that one receptacle only, and already #10, you can have a 3rd #10 wire pulled in. But if your existing wire is #12 or #14, or if there is anything else whatsoever on that circuit, don't use it! The dryer will overheat this gauge wire and could cause a fire.

Also, the box required is usually different than a standard 4 x 4. You can get a dryer receptacle to fit certain 4 x 4 boxes, but they also sell a specific self-housed dryer recep that is screwed directly to the wall, and is usually black or brown "bakelite" housing with a metal backplate.

Hope this helps.

JH
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 11-21-00, 09:51 AM
Visiting Guest
You're welcome.

JH