REALITY CHECK

Old 11-21-00, 08:07 PM
Visiting Guest
A friend of mine had a neighbor that decided to change the ballast on a 2 bulb flourscent fixture instead of turning off the power he did it with just the light switch off.No one knows for sure what happened next ,but some how the fixture became energized and the power going through the ballast was enough that when he hit the floor he was dead. KEEP IN mind that a ballast can put out as much as 600 volts and at 1 1/2 to 2 amps it is deadly. My understanding is the voltage and amperage went right through the heart. Be careful and think about what you are doing

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-00, 09:13 AM
Visiting Guest
A couple tips to add to doc's words:

First, even though you may be absolutely sure you've killed the breaker, I always recommend testing with a meter, then testing the meter on a circuit you know is live to make sure the meter's working. If you don't have a meter use a portable lamp, but test the lamp to make sure it's working of course.

Second, always remove all rings, bracelets, wristwatches and necklaces when working with electricity. Always. Doing so has saved many, many lives.

If you ever encounter a situation like doc described these two simple precautions could make your story end very differently.

Happy wiring,

JH