Electric motor blowing fuse on start-up

Old 11-23-00, 07:15 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

When my compressor starts up, there is about a 50/50 chance it will blow the 15 amp breaker on the workshop circuit, even if there is little else on the circuit on. Once it is running, i can turn on lights, small power tools on the same circuit without problem. I know the problem is related to the draw of the motor at startup, and I know that adding a new 20 amp outlet just for higher load tools would solve the problem, but....is there any way to remedy the problem without rewiring?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-00, 05:36 AM
Visiting Guest
Smile

I think that you have solved your own dillema. All motor loads typically draw 2-3 times running current on start up. This is why your circuit is more likely to trip with other loads on during start up. Without knowing the current rating of your compressor, the solution would be to either install an individual circuit for your compressor (if you do this, I would recommend #12 wire and a 20 amp breaker), or to relocate those additional loads to other circuits. I would not reccomend leaving it alone, as eventually you will cause your breaker to fail. You might also want to perform a current check (if you have a meter) on your compressor, it is possible that it is going bad.