moving an outlet

Old 11-24-00, 11:13 AM
Visiting Guest
here's an easy one for you guys. I need to
move a light switch and maybe an outlet only about 2 feet over, on the same wall.
What's involved? I don't need to keep one
where it is now, so I am not adding, only moving them. Do I just check the length of the wires to see if they reach? How are the wire boxes mounted? You can tell I'm a rookie. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-00, 01:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You left a lot to the imagination. I will try to give you some ideas that may not match what you need.

Turn of the power to that circuit in the panel.

If you are dealing with an open stud wall that has no drywall yet then you should want to use a nail on wall box called a device box. They come in plastic and steel. I would suggest plastic due to the non conductive properties of this box. If your wires will reach that new box then by all means just reroute the wire. If the wire does not reach then you will probably have to install another box in the attic in and a place always to be accessible, just like the nail on I mentioned and junction a new wire to that old wire inside this box. When the junctions are done just close up that box with a blank plate. Then run the wires extended to the new box installed reconnecting the same as it was.

If you are installing the new box in a wall that is already existing then just fish the wires in the wall to that box wiring the same as above only using a box called a remodle box with ears.

Hope this helps

Wg