Getting inspection after the fact

Old 10-03-02, 06:06 AM
Z
Zathrus
Visiting Guest
Getting inspection after the fact

Ok, I'm foolish, and rather embarrassed to admit this, but I did a lot of rewiring... without getting a permit/inspection. The old wiring was a certifiable fire hazard (18 gauge extention cords plugged into socket adaptors running florescent lighting, all turned on/off via a pull string!), and I'm confident I've done things right (thanks in part to this forum), but that doesn't make it right.

Well, the building inspector for my city is going to be at my house in the next few days to inspect roof and structural repairs after a tree hit my house (no, really hit - http://zathrus1.tripod.com). I know he won't be able to inspect the work at the same time, but how can I broach the subject? I'd rather not have to deal with a PO'd inspector who looks for the smallest variances, but I don't know how inspectors view DIY work here.

I did more than just fix the lighting - I also added 3 or 4 circuits and a dozen or so outlets for the basement remodel I'm doing. So the work really can't be reasonably qualified as "minor repairs".

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-02, 06:32 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I always advocate getting a permit, but to admit to unpermitted work after the fact is risky. You may be required to undo all your work and start over. The inspector looking at your roof is unlikely to notice the electrical work.

Let your conscience be your guide.

Old 10-03-02, 05:34 PM
A
Master Electrician
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Permits:

Jn
I always advocate getting a permit
I agree completely. There can be the politics, or the hassle when dealing with inspectors, but they are there for a good reason. (Your safety). Even when we think we have done everything right. His/Her job is to just back up what we think, or didnít think of. I believe their job can be a real pain in the ^*~, You have to give them admiration for what they try to accomplish.
I have a locale inspector that when asked what kind of a person is he. My response is allows the same. " If your honest and up front he will give you the shirt off his back, but if not then watch out..

Last edited by aphares; 10-03-02 at 06:02 PM.