Light switch:

Old 10-08-02, 09:08 PM
A
Master Electrician
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Light switch:

Extracted from the E-mail of "aphares" please do not e-mail your questions, Someone else could benifit from the answers.
Thank you.

All im trying to do is to hook up 2 pre existing light switches to a single light. There is one upstairs that controls the light and one downstairs that controls the same light. I put different light switches where they were before and switched the old light with a cannister light. The bottom light switch works, turns it on and off, but the top one does not. The bottom switch has to sets of wires coming into the box and the each black from each tube is connected in 1 hole of the switch. So, tube 1 black into hole 1 on switch. Tube 2 black into hole 2 on switch. This works great. NOW, on the other end, upstairs it doesn’t work. There is only one tube of wires coming in and I put the black into 1 hole and the red into the other hole. The only other wire is white coming out of the tube. The canister has a black, ground, white wire coming out of it. And it is all connected to the corresponding colors. Im not sure why the upstairs switch doesn’t work. I have those colors matching too. I hope I haven’t made this TOO difficult and please respond asap with any questions or comments or answers, as I am very frustrated, because this use to work.. Thanks, Matt

Old 10-09-02, 06:39 AM
A
Master Electrician
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
switches:

Look at you old switches; I believe you will find a deferent’s in them. The old ones will have three screws for wires, excluding the ground screw. The new ones you bought sounds as if they only have two wholes for wires, excluding the ground terminal. Check this if I am correct you have bought single pole switches, when in fact you needed three way switches.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: