Light Out ?

Old 10-11-02, 05:30 PM
Freedom
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Light Out ?

Just wondering if some one could help me with this problem I'm having with My On/Off Dusk Lights all of them work Light they should except one, It has Power going to it but Don't know where from ? Don't know how it was wire, just that it all with underground wiring, Like I said it has Power 119 Volts Common to Black and Black to Ground 119 Volts, But Still No Light ! Jump the Black and white wire with a little cheap light tester and it shows light ? Can't figure it out any suggestions would be Great Help to me I'm stumped .. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-02, 05:35 PM
bwetzel
Visiting Guest
Sometimes it is as easy as replacing the lamps. haha
If that does not work, Try finding the breaker that controls that circuit and turn it off for at least 20 seconds and then turn it back on. You may have lost power at one time and when it came back on, the memory for the switch override was lost.

Old 10-11-02, 07:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Freedom said:

Light Still Out ?
Ok shut the Breaker off and still the same ? the four lights come on and the fifth light is off, Power is 119 Volts, uncovered the photocell and the lights go off and so does the one that has the 119 Volts, So looks like it should work, and I have tried the bulb and its good any other Ideas ? if the little test light, Lights Why won't the 1 60 watt bulb they are all the same, and the other lights all have 2 lines coming up through the pole and this 1 light that doesn't work only has one, so I'm guessing the others are looped from light to light and this one is maybe the last one, Or maybe they branch it off some how any Idea Folks ? Help ! Thanks again !!! Brad

marcerrin said:

hope this helps
Is the bulb making contact with the bottom flange inside the screwshell? Sometimes those things get bent down and dont make contact.

Freedom said:

Lights Out Thanks for the info anymore Ideas ?
Yes Checked to make sure the Flange or contact was touching the bottom of the bulb, Even Took a Working bulb and Held the Hot wire to the Bottom of the Bulb and the Common to the side .. Nothing not even a flicker .. I got zappped But the Bulb didn't . Any other Ideas ? I'll try them all Thanks For The Helpful Ideas ! Brad

John Nelson said:

Let's keep this discussion in one thread.

Old 10-11-02, 08:31 PM
texsparky
Visiting Guest
Use your test light to test for power in the socket......1 lead to the center tab and 1 lead to the screwshell.Do you have power?

Old 10-11-02, 08:39 PM
Freedom
Visiting Guest
119 Volt from Hot Tab contact to the Screwshell .The test light glows. Keep in mind this is a cheapo light and maybe is a 2 watt christmas like light that lights up, Thats why I can't figure this thing out .. Thanks!!! Any More Ideas ? Please ... Brad

Old 10-11-02, 08:52 PM
If there is both measured voltage and you can light your test light, and the bulb is good, but the fixture still doesn't work, then (1) there must be a high-resistance connection somewhere between this fixture and the last working fixture, or (2) the bulb is not making good contact (as was suggested earlier). Since we seem to have ruled out (2), you should start looking for (1).

Old 10-11-02, 09:26 PM
bwetzel
Visiting Guest
get another fixture or a tester with two wires connected to a lamp socket with a good lamp in it. tie this to your wires and see if it lights. If it does, replace the old fixture. It is not worth it to try and fix the old one. If you want to try and save the old fixture, I would try to clean the connections on the lamp socket. Scrape them with a screwdriver. Bend the center tab toward the lamp more and try this. If you truly have 120V at the socket, there is a problem with the contacts or the lamp itself.
Brian

Old 10-11-02, 09:33 PM
Master Electrician
Problem might be everyone is "Ass/u/me'ing that this is an incandescent fixture. What if, And is it an Mercury vapor fixture?
If so you will get 120v at the socket, but you are not getting the start voltage to cause the lamp to come on from a starting point. If so you have a bad starter in the housing. Just one thought..

Old 10-11-02, 10:32 PM
Freedom
Visiting Guest
Wow ! Just want to Thank ALL of the Folks on here for all the suggestion and HELP ! I think I'll be busy tomorrow trying all the ideas out, and its an incandecent light, .. Never New there was this Much Help out there or support, Thanks a Million and I'll let you know Tomorrow When it works, with all the ideas I'm sure its got to do with one of them .. Just Wanted to tell you ( All ) I'm Grateful for all the HELP ! ( THANKS!!!!!! ) Brad