Ceiling Fan

Old 10-12-02, 05:13 PM
Jeff Hasty
Visiting Guest
Ceiling Fan

I installed a new ceiling fan and took wires to switch on wall. Have one switch with 3 wires, and want to add a switch to control ceiling fan. How do I wire that switch box so that both switches will not turn on the power?????

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-02, 05:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Jeff, your post is a bit hard to follow.

I assume that the only cable you ran was from the ceiling box, where there were no other wires, to the switch box. To know if it is possible to do what you want, I need to know how many wires of each color were present in the switch box before you ran your new cable -- all the wires, not just the ones attached to the switch. And what are the colors of the three wires attached to the existing switch?

Are you intending to replace an ordinary switch with a duplex switch (one switch above the other)?

Old 10-12-02, 06:32 PM
Jeff Hasty
Visiting Guest
There are a white, black and ground wire, in the switch box. I ran a white, black and ground wire from the new ceiling fan box to the switch box, and changed from a single switch box to a duplex box.

Old 10-12-02, 06:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What you are attempting is impossible with the amount of wire you have installed now (unless you are willing and able to make whatever the existing switch controls permanently hot instead of switched). The cable into your switch box is a switch loop -- it is not a source of power. You must find some other source of power. An unswitched receptacle is good. Then you must run another cable from this source of power to either your ceiling or your switch box.

You've made what I always regard as the most common DIY electrical mistake made. So you have plenty of company. Post back if you need more information.

Old 10-12-02, 06:49 PM
Jeff Hasty
Visiting Guest
OK, I will investigate this again and see what I can come up with!!

Thanks for your prompt reply.