help with bx cable

Old 10-16-02, 11:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
help with bx cable

Hi I would appreciate some info on how to cut the BX armor,i have been using a metal saw to cut on one of the ridges and bend the cable on the cut.
This leaves a sharp and uneven edge and hardely any room to sleep the antishort bushing to protect the wires .

Thank you very much for advice papi

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-02, 06:21 AM
texsparky
Visiting Guest
There is a tool called a rotosplit (not to be confused with rotozip) that is made specifically for cutting armored cable.It's been awhile since I've bought one,but I think I paid around $25 for it.It was money well spent.
I think I have seen them at Home Depot in the electrical dept. and most electrical supply houses have them.
The way to cut the armor with a hacksaw is to cut as parrallel with the cable as you can (use a 32 teeth per inch blade to prevent binding) This takes a little practice,but I know some old-timers who prefer the hacksaw.

Last edited by texsparky; 10-17-02 at 06:41 AM.
Old 10-17-02, 11:37 PM
Hi Texsparki

T

Old 10-17-02, 11:42 PM
TNX FOR INFO

Hi Texsparki

TNX VERY MUCH FOR REPLAY,I WILL TRAY TO FIND THAT TOOL.

REGARDS PAPI

Old 10-18-02, 10:09 PM
bwetzel
Visiting Guest
Just bend it in half untill it breaks and a piece of the metal is shown and then use a pair of dykes to cut it. Then pull it off.
Brian

Old 10-18-02, 10:15 PM
texsparky
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down

bwetzl,although it might work,I doubt that is what the manufacturer would recommend as it sounds like a good way to damage the insulation on the wire.

Old 10-18-02, 10:30 PM
bhyman
Visiting Guest
The tool is definately worth it! I paid 19.95 for mine and saves a considerable amount of hassle making sure the wire insulation isn't nicked by cutting into the armor with cutters.

With the tool it's a couple of quick turns of the handle and a quick snap of the armor and you're all set. The armor comes right off.

One other note, don't forget to put on a plastic bushing to make sure the wire doesn't get cut into buy the armor after it is cut.

Old 10-19-02, 12:12 AM
Thank you all for help.it is really nice of you to share your knowledge and experiences with others even if some times there are desagriments. This is a great site///////

Regrds Papi

Old 10-19-02, 12:41 AM
I never use BX with the cable already in it, I always use the empty cable and put my own wires through.

Old 10-19-02, 08:18 PM
bwetzel
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by texsparky
bwetzl,although it might work,I doubt that is what the manufacturer would recommend as it sounds like a good way to damage the insulation on the wire.
Read the instructions that come with a 1000' roll. This is the way it shows. There is a little piece of paper that comes on the roll with the 3 steps illustrated.
Brian