Min 90 C Supply Conductors?

Old 10-18-02, 01:48 PM
joelryan2k
Visiting Guest
Question Min 90 C Supply Conductors?

We purchased a new light fixture from Home Depot. It has this warning in a few places: "MIN 90 C SUPPLY CONDUCTORS".

Can someone explain to me exactly what this means?

The light itself requires two 60 watt bubls.

I have no idea what the wires in our condo are rated at. My only clue is on the circuit breaker box where it explains that only 60 C and 75 C wires should be used with these breakers.

Basically, I just want to make sure I don't burn down the complex by installing this stupid light.

Thanks!
-- Joel

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-02, 02:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This warning is usually accompanied by the statement that most homes wired before 1985 do not have 90-degree wiring. In many homes, there is no easy way to tell. If you can see enough of the exposed cable sheathing somewhere (perhaps in the basement or attic), you may see it marked "NM-B". If it is marked "NM-B", then you have 90-degree wiring, but if is only marked "NM" without the "-B", then you do not.

Old 10-18-02, 02:18 PM
What is the fix then John? If there isnt 90 wire?

Old 10-18-02, 02:33 PM
If you don't have 90-degree wire, you should (A) return the fixture and buy one that doesn't require 90-degree wire (this is usually fixtures where the bulbs are held away from the base), or (B) install 90-degree wire (this requires replacement of at least the foot or two of wire closest to the fixture) -- of course, don't conceal any splices or make said splices outside of a box.

Old 10-18-02, 03:09 PM
texsparky
Visiting Guest
Post Further discussion link

There was alot of discussion on this issue here..... [url]http://electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000108.html ......as well as several links from there.

Old 10-18-02, 04:17 PM
joelryan2k
Visiting Guest
Ahh.. thank you for the responses... at least I'm not insane for wondering about this 90 C thing... seems pretty dangerous. I asked sevaral people, including the 'Pro' at Home Depot, before posting here. Nobody had a clue what it meant and everyone said they'd just install it.

I ended up using the flourescent (spelling??) bulbs which I understand run a lot cooler that normal bulbs. The light sure is ugly, like being at work. We'll probably end up returning it for something that doesn't run so hot.

Thanks again!
-- Joel

Old 10-18-02, 05:28 PM
texsparky
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down

You mentioned Pro and Home Depot in the same sentence?Shame on you. LOL.

Truth is there may be a few knowledgable people there,but how do you know this is not someone from lawn & garden filling in for the guy that called in sick?

Old 10-18-02, 06:59 PM
joelryan2k
Visiting Guest
True true... notice the quotes around 'Pro' In the guys defense he did know a little about wiring and such, but not nearly as much as those on this forum.

Old 10-18-02, 07:03 PM
Some day, you're going to find me working in the electrical aisle of Home Depot, part-time after I retire.

Old 10-18-02, 11:17 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
John, they would assign you to the magical TV commercial Home Depot where the staff is knowledgeable, the checkout people can read their price book, someone hasn't stolen a stud detector off a display, and the hacksaw in the trim aisle isn't in pieces on the floor. Gee, that kind of sounds like my last visit there.

Old 10-18-02, 11:36 PM
In their defence,, Home Depot does a good job considering the size of the business and the amount of employees they have. Great to shop on those off hours when jobbers are closed and for me they are a lot closer. They also have some great people too,,, they just not always in that dept when you need them.