wiring a tricky circuit that shouldn't be so tough

Old 10-20-02, 09:21 PM
islandcastaway
Visiting Guest
wiring a tricky circuit that shouldn't be so tough

I've been struggling to wire a circuit that shouldn't be so difficult. Details as follows:

two lights and a wall outlet in conjunction with a wall switch. I want the wall switch to be live 24/7. The lights I want to work with the switch.

I've wired a junction box for the power / two lights / wall outlet. From this I've connected a single pole switch and when the breaker is thrown everything's ok, but when I turn the switch off, the breaker trips.

Ideas?
Thanks.

Old 10-21-02, 06:41 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
First, I'll assume that you want the receptacle to be live 24/7, not the switch.

Next, I'm not sure how you wired the junction box. Do you mean that you have a junction box into which comes one cable to each of the things you mentioned, and that the junction box has nothing but wire and wire nuts in it? This is an odd wiring style, but we can make it work.

The thing you may have done wrong was to connect all wires by color. You can't do this when you have a switch loop. The cable to the switch needs special consideration.

Connect the WHITE wire from the switch to both the BLACK wire from the power and the BLACK wire from the receptacle.

Connect the remaining black wires to each other. Connect the remaining white wires to each other. Connect all grounding wires to each other. You will have thus four wire nuts in the junction box.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: