Proximity of light fixture to shower fixture?

Old 10-21-02, 08:59 AM
ROFL
Visiting Guest
Proximity of light fixture to shower fixture?

Are there code specifications for minimum distance between a light fixture and a shower fixture? They're in the same wall, but face different bathrooms. I am just starting a master bathroom remodel in which I'm replacing the original bath/shower faucet and raising the shower head by about 1 foot. After opening up the walls, I found a light fixture for the adjoining kid's bathroom in between the same 2 studs as my riser pipe. The light is also right at the same level as I'd like to raise the shower arm to. As an easy way out, I've thought about lowering my expectations and extending the riser to just below the light fixture. That way I can span the gap between the studs with a 2x4 to mount the extended riser to. My only concern is that the end of my riser pipe will then be a mere inch or two away from the other bathroom's light fixture. Am I asking for hydro-shock therapy by doing this? I'm hoping I don't have to mess with relocating the light fixture.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-02, 04:40 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
As long as the light box is inside the wall and facing into the other room inches from the shower head pipe is no violation of hte NEC.

The only concern the NEC has concerning light fixtures and a normal bath tub or shower is if a light fixture is installed exposed to the inside of the shower stall itself. Then it must be GFI protected and approved for a wet location. You may even install a normal surface mounted light fixture above the shower area that is above the shower stall and has open air space between the top of the shower unit and the light.

YOu should be fine to do as you discribed. The light box is within the wall and not exposed to the moisture of the shower outlet or moisture in the air within the shower area. Your light box and light fixture is in the next room behind the bathroom wall surface separating the shower area and shower head from that light fixture and light box. Therefore your light box and light fixture is outside the concerned area.

It is common for light boxes or light fixtures to be close to a plumbing pipe. This is all you have is a plumbing pipe near a light box not a plumbing shower head exposed to that light box. Your bathroom wall surface separates the two areas.

Hope this helps

Wg

Old 10-22-02, 04:51 PM
ROFL
Visiting Guest
That helped immensely, thank you Wg!

Old 10-22-02, 05:11 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Glad to be able to help. Let us know how your project completes.

Good Luck

Wg

Old 11-09-02, 09:15 PM
ROFL
Visiting Guest
The project is hardly complete, but the new faucet and shower riser pipe is in place, and the cement board is up. The shower arm will be 6' 8" off the ground rather than the 7' height I was hoping for, sitting a couple inches below the electrical box for the light in the other bathroom. My 6' 1" wife will have to settle. Thanks again for easing my concerns. It would have been a hassle if I had to relocate the light. Now I've got a couple fun filled weekends of tiling to look forward to!