vertical clearance for utility lines over or near hot tub

Old 10-21-02, 01:57 PM
lars3159
Visiting Guest
vertical clearance for utility lines over or near hot tub

I am planning on putting a hot tub in my back yard and am wanting to know what the clearance restrictions are. I have been reading article 680 and am not getting a clear answer. What are the guidlines for the overhead conductors( they do not go directly over the hot tub but pass over near it about 13' up). The spot where I am putting the hot tub is about 5' from the service meter. Can a labeled breaker in this panel count for my disconnect?

Thank you for your help.

Old 10-22-02, 04:20 AM
Hatteras
Visiting Guest
Are the conductors electric, telephone, CATV or other? Your best bet would be to contact the electric utility that provides your service for their advice. They will be able to answer your questions.

Hatteras

Old 10-22-02, 03:46 PM
Canoe875
Visiting Guest
from what i get from 680.8 you must be 22.5ft from the top of the water, extending 10ft out from the sides... so if the lines are more than ten ft, away from the sides you don't have to worry about it. as for your disconnect it must be outside, and visable from the spa, and must be gfi protected. they sell 60amp gfi disconnects at home depot for about $70.

Old 10-22-02, 03:53 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
YOur hot tub must maintain at least 5' distance from that panel if with switches or braekers in that panel.

You overhead wires must maintain a minimum of 22.5 feet from the water's edge to a service drop that does not exceed 750 volts. This is most likely your situation. I am suspecting that you are talking about the overhead service drop connected to your weatherhead of your service on your home.

If you are speaking of primary lines that exceed 750 volts the you must maintain 25 feet from the water's edge.

If you are talking about communications such as overhead phone lnes then you must maintain a minimum of 10 feet from the water's edge.

These measurement clearance requirements also extend horizontally 10 feet out from the pool then up to the wires.

Like Hatteras said you should check with your power company and also you should check with your local electrical inspector. They have the final ruling on the subject. Often times the power company will not allow their overhead wires over a pool at all. Worth listening to Hatteras's advice.

HOpe this helps

Wg

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: