Sub Panel Question

Old 10-24-02, 06:30 PM
B
bhyman
Visiting Guest
Sub Panel Question

Hi all,
I currently have a 100 amp service and the panel is full. I have no need to upgrade the service (!). I would like to add a sub panel, rather than replacing the current panel with a larger one.

My question is, is it possible to add a 100 amp sub panel? Or does the breaker feeding the subpanel need to be smaller than the main breaker?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-02, 07:45 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A subpanel will increase your number of possible circuits, but it won't add one watt to your electrical capacity. A subpanel is not an alternative to a service upgrade.

It makes no sense to put a 100-amp subpanel off a 100-amp main panel. But you can put a 40-amp or 50-amp or 60-amp subpanel to give you more breaker slots.

Old 10-25-02, 09:27 AM
B
bhyman
Visiting Guest
Yes. Increasing the number of circuits is what I need to do. I do not need more than 100 amp service for my house (stated in earlier message), which is why I want to add a subpanel rather than replacing the current panel.

I was basically wondering how large a feed I can provide a subpanel. For example, if the main breaker panel is 100 amp, can you legally put a 100 amp feed to the sub, or does that breaker for the sub panel need to be smaller that the main breaker.

Old 10-25-02, 09:51 AM
J
If you can find the 100-amp breaker, I think you can use it.

Old 10-25-02, 01:01 PM
S
A 60 A breaker is MUCH cheaper.