Italian Chandelier

Old 10-25-02, 06:04 PM
A
Armchair
Visiting Guest
Question Italian Chandelier

Hi, Newbie here,

My wife bought a chandelier while on vacation in Italy. I am trying to wire it and it has the usual 3 wires, but totally diff colors than I have seen. They are brown, blue and yellow w/ a green stripe.

Anyone have any advice on the translation to white/ black/ green I'm used to? I'd like to avoid calling an electrician if I can.

Thanks for the consideration.

edit- kan't spel

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-02, 06:07 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
In my opinion, and for many reasons, I do not believe that it is safe to install a fixture in the U.S. that was designed for use in Italy.

Old 10-25-02, 09:29 PM
A
Armchair
Visiting Guest
Clarification->
It is a new and well crafted piece purchased from a reputable dealer that specializes in exports. By all appearances ( wire colors excepted) it is compliant with US standards.

Old 10-26-02, 03:41 AM
John, I am most curious why you feel the Italian fixture shouldn't be used on this side of the pond? I am doing some work for a friend who recently moved back to the US from several years in Germany and brought her ceiling fixtures with her. (It is customary there for you to take the fixtures as you would your furniture when you move.) She showed them to me and asked if I thought they could be used in her house here. I told her the wire looked slightly small since it was wired for 240 v. and I thought that if rewired with a little heavier wire, 16 or so that it would be perfectly fine. Why do you think this is a bad plan? (Or you referring only to Italian light fixtures?)

Old 10-26-02, 05:02 AM
Different electrical standards over there (there is anywhere but the USA). Although the standards might be higher than the USA, maybe they are lower. The reason we have UL here, is because a detailed inspection very often can not happen at the point of sale as it can be done during manufacture.

Old 10-26-02, 06:36 AM
J
The problems have been discussed dozens of times in this forum over the last couple of years. You can overcome these problems by replacing all of the electrical parts (wiring and sockets), retaining only the basic structure.

The main problem is this: The fixture is designed and tested for 240 volts systems. You have a problem with either of the following two options:

(A) You replace the European bulbs with U.S. bulbs (assuming you can find ones that fit). A 60-watt U.S. bulb at 120 volts in the U.S. will generate four times the heat in the wires as a 60-watt European bulb at 240 volts in Europe would generate. This may be a fire hazard.

(B) You don't replace the European bulbs with U.S. bulbs. The bulbs will only burn at one fourth the brightless that they would in Europe.

Moving an appliance between compatable power systems is one thing. Moving an appliance from a 240-volt 50-Hertz system to a 120-volt 60-Hertz system is something else.

Old 10-26-02, 08:58 AM
J
Received 203 Votes on 179 Posts
The fixture was designed for north america. Here is the cross reference I have seen from german machinery I have work on that has passed the Ontario Hydro inspection.
blue = neutral/white
brown = hot/black
yellow/green = ground/bare
you can confirm this if you like by measiring with an ohm meter. The blue should be connected to the outsied rim of the lamp socket. The brown should be connected to the button in the bottom of the socket. The Yellow/grn should be connected to the metal parts of the fixture.

Old 10-26-02, 02:53 PM
Lightbulb Bulbs

The bulbs are the same type as over here just a different voltage.
The wires will work as long as they are 20 AWG or thicker, not much current involved for a light bulb.
50hz/ 60hz is irrelavent for light bulbs BTW.
It would even work on 120v DC for that matter.