Changing a Starter in Florescent light

Old 10-29-02, 06:02 PM
pantyhose4me
Visiting Guest
Question Changing a Starter in Florescent light

I have a problem with this Florescent light right above the computer where I'm typing now. The starter isn't working and I have no idea how to change it! I bought new florescent bulbs but it didn't help the problem one bit! How do you change the starter in the florescent light?

Old 10-29-02, 07:05 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I believe you may be talking about the ballast rather than the starter. Are you referring to the black rectangular box?

If your ballast is out, it is often easier and cheaper to buy a whole new fixture. But replacement ballasts are available.

Old 10-29-02, 07:57 PM
pantyhose4me
Visiting Guest
Question

I'm not sure where the black box is on this thing! I thought it was called a Starter not a ballast? It just doesn't come on completely the florescent light and it will flash every so often but rarely comes on completely. So what do I need to do to remedy the problem?

Old 10-29-02, 08:48 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A starter in an old fluorescent fixture is an aluminum cylindrical device about the same diameter as a nickle. It is normally mounted under one end of the fluorescent tube. A slight counter-clockwise twist releases the starter for replacement. The ballast is located within the body of the fixture. For access, the tube/tubes must be removed then remove the cover plate which will give you access to the ballast - a black rectangular device with several wires entering one end.

Old 10-30-02, 09:41 PM
Jorren
Visiting Guest
If this is a newer and cheaper lite (less than $20) than it probably doesn't have a starter or probably even a ballast, the wonders of electronics!! If this is the case then follow Johns advice- get a new lite (the wonders of the disposable era!!) If you try to retrofit a new ballast($15-20) if it even fits (unlikely), the agravation figuring out the wiring, the buying of wire nuts, the labor hours you put into it, it is much easier, and cheaper!) to gey a new one.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: