Changing 100 Amp to 200 Amp service

Old 10-30-02, 09:19 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Changing 100 Amp to 200 Amp service

Can someone tell me if I can change my current service from a 100 amp to 200 amp service? My house was built in 1997 but only has a 100 amp breaker for the main. I added onto my garage and want to increase the amperage to make sure I have enough capacity when running tools in the garage.
Old 10-30-02, 09:32 PM
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: United States
Posts: 17,733
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Yes, certainly. Anything is possible given time and money. Call a few electricians and get some bids. First ask them to compute whether or not you actually need the upgrade (although they have a vested interest in the answer). It's not a foregone conclusion that 100 amps isn't already enough.
Old 10-30-02, 09:35 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanks John,

I have an old neighbor who is an electrician. I'll call him tomorrow and see if he can help. I forgot about him until I read your respond. Thanks again and I'll let you know what he says.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: