electrical light fixture near natural gas line

Old 11-01-02, 09:33 AM
kfloyd
Visiting Guest
electrical light fixture near natural gas line

We are adding some power lines and light fixtures in our unfinished basement and have a question. Can we add a light power box and fixture near our natural gas pipes. It would be within 5 inches of the copper natural gas pipe. Would the high temperature from the light fixture be a problem? Is there any thing we need to consider.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-02, 10:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That shuldnt hurt anything. But I have one other question,, is it natural or LP? I thought the National Cas Code called for use of black piping and no copper on natural gas. Maybe someone could elaborate. I couldnt find a copy,, then again,, maybe thats rumor I heard too.

Old 11-01-02, 11:19 AM
Sberry27.

Copper are now being used in newer homes.. The gas line are under a higher pressure vs the older style that used black pipe. So Copper is ok to use..

Jay

Old 11-01-02, 08:41 PM
I dont have a copy of the National Gas Code,, but I believe copper isnt aproved for natural,,, there is a chemical reaction with it. You can use it on propane (LP) There is a special copper for it,,, lined with tin.

Old 11-02-02, 11:28 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello Forum and Topic readers.

I have no idea where all the misconceptions arrive from.???

A simple trip or phone call to the local building and safety department office will clearify the questions and confusions related to the useage of copper with natural gas.

Checking local codes and rules for allowable clearance distances, proper installation methods, etc will provide the needed information to make all installations to codes and safe.

Doing so and following these rules and codes is in ones own best interests. Many insurance policies require code installations for the policy to remain enforce. Violations can void policies and claims will be denied.

Higher pressures with copper lines?
Never heard of this but could be???
...If so....New one on me....

Near electrical lines?
Possibly. Electrical conductivity may be of concern. Grounding a possibility. A potential problem if copper pipes are allowed in your area and used in the indoor installation. Again, check with local code requirements.