Grounding receptacles


Old 11-03-02, 02:39 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

We bought an older house and it has the old style OUTLETS and we want to convert them to the grounded type.

Replacing them is no problem, But how do you get them GROUNDED ??

All help is appreciated.


Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-02, 02:54 PM
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: United States
Posts: 18,497
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Getting them grounded is difficult -- it requires you to run a grounding wire from the receptacle back to the panel. This is a lot of hard work if you have a ranch home with an unfinished basement, a crawl space, or an attic. However, in many other cases, it is impractically difficult. So you should look into alternatives.

If you just want to be able to plug in things with three prongs, or if you just want to provide additional safety for your family, GFCI is usually the answer. This is usually easy, inexpensive, and within the skills of most homeowners. If you choose this solution, post back for more information, or merely search this forum for "GFCI".

If you want to protect your sensitive electronic equipment, it's usually better to either move, live with the risk, or ground just that one receptacle where your computer is plugged in.
Old 11-03-02, 03:18 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanks John,
I was afraid that was the solution. Seeings we just bought the house, moving is out . LOL
The basement is finished but I can get to the wiring. I may have to re-pull some of it or try getting a ground to them.
I guess keep my best bet is to keep my insurance paid and live with it.

Your information is greatly appreciated tho.


Old 11-16-02, 09:48 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Grounding receptacles

If only grounding this one receptacle is it possible, at a later date and when it's needed, to splice into this grounding wire to ground another receptacle?g
Old 11-16-02, 01:08 PM
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: welland ontario
Posts: 7,624
Received 271 Votes on 234 Posts
If you are only running a separate ground wire you need to run an unspliced wire to each recepticle from the main house ground. I would suggest if you have to run a ground wire why not just run an nm cable have a complete new wire.
Old 11-16-02, 01:28 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanks for the reply. We will consider using new wire instead of just the ground.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: