Bathroom circuits

Old 11-03-02, 03:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom circuits

OK, let me see if I've gotten this straight:

- Bathroom receptacles have to be on their own 20A breaker?

Can anything else be downstream from them?

I have one receptacle in my very small bathroom. It is a GFCI receptacle.

I have a ceiling exhaust fan I would like to install. I have a sheetrock arch that separates the shower, so I purchased an exhaust fan that states it is UL listed to go above a shower as long as it is on a GFCI protected branch circuit. It does not state that it has to be on an 'individual' or 'separate' GFCI circuit. I would like to save the $38.00 for the GFCI breaker by not wiring the fan separately if I don't have to. I would also like the fan to be switched, so would it be nice if I could do the following:

- Wire from breaker to GFCI receptacle (12/2wGround--already run).
- Wire from recept to switch.
- Wire from switch to ceiling exhaust fan.
(Connecting hot from recept to switch & hot from exhaust fan to switch. Connecting neutral from recept directly to neutral from the fan; and connecting ground from recept directly to ground from fan.)

Is any or all of this within code, or do I have to wire my sole bathroom recept separately with nothing else on it, and then wire my ceiling exhaust fan/vent separately?

Thanks for any and all help!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-02, 04:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whaddya know: I posted this question before I caught myself up on reading the dozen or so threads that had unread messages for me. Little did I know Mr. Nelson had already answered my questions in the "Planning Circuit" thread. Thanks!

I do have a secondary question on this note, but I posted it in the "Planning Circuit" thread.