changing a switched outlet to a non-switched outlet

Old 11-10-02, 12:45 PM
mcrowley1
Visiting Guest
Question changing a switched outlet to a non-switched outlet

I have an outlet that is controlled with the light switch and I want to make it a full-time outlet that does not turn off when the switch is off. I have no idea how to do this. I have tried a couple of times to rewire the outlet, but with no luck. I ended up wiring it back the way it was when I started. I know this can be done, but how?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-02, 01:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I need a little more information where does the power come from?
How many wires and what colours are they in the box at the fixture? If you can give a little more information then I'm sure we can help.

Old 11-10-02, 04:01 PM
HBB
Visiting Guest
Shut off the power to that circuit -- then TEST it with a lamp at that switched receptacle just to MAKE SURE it's off.

Disconnect the switch from its box and take it out. Twist the two wires that went to the switch together and screw a yellow wire nut on them.

This will create a continuous current to the formerly switched receptacle.

Buy a blank cover and replace the switch cover with it.

Turn the breaker back on.

You might put a small note in that box saying that it had contained a switch and what receptacle(s) it had controlled, but is now hard-wired.

Old 11-10-02, 08:14 PM
mcrowley1
Visiting Guest
I just realized I neglected to mention that this switch also controls the overhead light in the room. If it just controlled the outlet this would work, but I still need the switch to control the light. Sorry if this caused any confusion.

Old 11-10-02, 08:28 PM
Again we need to know what wires are where. If the power enters the switch box then travels to the overhead light there are certain things you'd have to do, but if the power goes to the box at the fixture first then you can do it another way so it is important to give some information like how many wires and what are there colours in the switch box? How many wires and what are their colours in the fixture box? Give us a little more to work on please.

Old 11-11-02, 07:35 AM
mcrowley1
Visiting Guest
Okay, I have more information about the wiring. On the wall outlet (left side) there is one red wire and on the right side there are 2 white wires. Also, in the box there are 2 black wires secured together by a wire nut. Neither of the black wires are attached to the outlet.

On the switch, there is one red and one black wire attached to the switch. Inside the box there are 2 white wires secured together by a wire nut, and separately there are 3 black wires secured together by a wire nut. One of the 3 is the black wire coming from the switch.

Let me know if you need more information.

Thanks

Old 11-11-02, 07:56 AM
you will have to determine if the two black wires in the outlet box are "live" all the time. I believe they would be which would make this very easy.

If they are live then turn the power off to the outlet and remove the red wire. Get a 6 inch piece of black wire and wirenut it to the two black wires and insert the 6 inch piece where the red wire had been connected to the outlet. wirenut the red wire and turn the power back on.

Let us know if this helps

Old 11-11-02, 08:21 AM
mcrowley1
Visiting Guest
Thanks, gard! It worked! This is gonna be great! Thanks for your help.