converting 110 to 220.

Old 11-12-02, 10:58 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
converting 110 to 220.

i see the earlier question posted on going from 220 to 110. but i also see where you can buy converters that are labelled for continuous use. here's my problem. my garbage disposer died last week. i bought one off of ebay for half what the stores wanted. and with my luck, i noticed after the fact that it's 220. i'm at work, so i haven't had the chance to look, but i'm sure that my current disposer is 110.

can i get one of these "continuous use" converters? i've run wire for new circuits before, but hate going up in the attic.

thanks,
mitch

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-02, 12:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No, that would not be practical. If the disposal is on its OWN circuit you can correct this,,, but if not you need a new circuit from the panel. The thing is probably European,, that might have some other problems I am not sure. I havnt seen residential disposals 240 v before. Sometimes the half price is not a bargain,, re sell it an buy the right one,, it probably be cheaper and easier. Or trash it and count as a lesson learned.

Old 11-12-02, 01:47 PM
Gary Tait
Visiting Guest
You could get one, but due to the size and cost of the size required for such a load as a disposal, it would be impracitcal.
It would be far cheaper to re-wire to suit the 220V disposer's rating.