30 amp breaker

Old 11-13-02, 06:04 AM
hlcrothers
Visiting Guest
30 amp breaker

I have a 30 amp breaker in panel box. I think that it is a double pole breaker because it has a tab that connnects two switch tabs. Such a breaker, I think, is for three wire having the black and red connected to each pole of the breaker. I have two separate 220 lines (#10 wire) each with two wires and a ground. Can I connect a black wire from each of the two lines to each of the poles on the above described 30 amp breaker or do I have to replace that breaker with two single pole 30 amp breakers?

Thanks!
Homer

Old 11-13-02, 06:22 AM
Gary Tait
Visiting Guest
If they are 220V loads (assuming they are supposed to be connected to a 30 A breaker), you need to connect each wire
to each pole on it's own two pole breaker. Before you start using
the 30 A breaker, make sure the load and the wiring can be used with it, if not, get a breaker (or breakers) rated for the wiring and load of the appliance.

Old 11-13-02, 06:30 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
hlcrothers,

What are these two lines going to power? I think you probably need two double-pole 30-amp breakers, and maybe you need different cable, but we need to know more about the purpose of this project to judge.

Old 11-13-02, 06:45 AM
hlcrothers
Visiting Guest
30 Amp Breaker

I will be using 30 amp breaker 220 volt to power woodworking equipment such as planer and dust collection system.

Currently have two separate #10-2 wire with ground cables so two machines can run simultaneously.

Old 11-13-02, 07:20 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Then you need two 240-volt double-pole breakers. They should only be 30-amp breakers if that is what is called for by the manufacturer of the tools. Otherwise, put in a breaker of the size specified by the manufacturer.

Old 11-13-02, 10:11 AM
hlcrothers
Visiting Guest
30 Amp Breaker

Since I have #10-2 wire with ground going into the panel please tell me the correct wiring for the 30 amp double-pole breaker.

Old 11-13-02, 10:23 AM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
First you need to install the breaker in the panel properly. It varies by panel type. then connect the black to one screw and the white to the other screw of the breaker. Connect the ground to the grounding bus. There is no neutral on this circuit. Color the white wire with a black marker at the recepticle.

Old 11-13-02, 11:06 AM
hlcrothers
Visiting Guest
30 Amp Breaker

Thanks joed! You have confirmed what I was about to do.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: