Mounting and wiring a fixture to exterior brick wall

Old 11-13-02, 11:56 AM
B. Long
Visiting Guest
Mounting and wiring a fixture to exterior brick wall

I'd like to add an exterior light fixture on the brick facade of my garage. I was wondering if I can simply drill a hole through the brick and feed romex through from an electrical source to the fixture and caulk around the fixture when it's mounted to the brick, or if I need to notch out the brick and recess a mounting box for the wires to be housed and the fixture to bolt to. I'd appreciate any input.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-02, 04:59 PM
Specter
Visiting Guest
I added a pair of lights to our garage in that manner. I didn't have to recess the fixture to make it work & be a safe installation. The fixture must be for exterior installation & be sure to check your local building codes. They may require the use of some type of conduit. Also, since there is a possibility of moisture, you may also want to wire it thru a groung fault.

Old 11-13-02, 10:11 PM
Jorren
Visiting Guest
B.Long, some fixtures are actually rated to be installed without a junction box, they are harder to find but are out there. You can wire through a GFI like Specter said, but it is not required by code. If your fixture is not rated to be used without a box, you must use one. Typically, an octogon box, pancake style (meaning it is only approx 1/2 inch deep) will suffice. Just keep in mind that they dont have much of a cubic inch ration and wont legally handle too many splices.

Old 11-14-02, 06:14 AM
HBB
Visiting Guest
And caulk around where the fixture meets the brick, especially if it's located where rain can blow against it.