Gsci

Old 11-16-02, 11:14 AM
N
njwg
Visiting Guest
GFCI

I purchased a GFCI outlet to install in bathroom of an older home. It wont work though because it says "Use only copper wire with this device", so is there a GFCI available to use with aluminum wiring?
ng

Last edited by njwg; 11-16-02 at 07:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-02, 05:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Typically in your situation, you should purchase a purple wire nut (the purple wire nut from Ideal, is permitted to splice aluminum to copper) for each of your aluminum conductors and "pig tail" each aluminum conductor to a 6-8" peice of copper conductor (#14 awg minimum for 15A breaker, and #12 awg minimum for 20A breaker). Then terminate the GFCI recept as you normally would with copper wiring.

Old 11-16-02, 05:32 PM
B
bwetzel
Visiting Guest
I find it hard that you have aluminum wires for 15 or 20 amp branch circuits. Are you sure they are aluminum or are they silver copper clad. Just wondering
Brian

Old 11-16-02, 05:43 PM
J
There are many millions of houses wired with no copper at all, not even on branch circuits. But Brian's point is a good one -- use a pocket knife to scrape the outside of that wire to see if there is copper underneath.

Search the web for aluminum wiring. There are some good tips at the Consumer Product Safety Commission's site (cpsc.gov) on how to deal with aluminum wiring (use the site's search capability to search for "aluminum wire"). This will give you more information on the good advice you got from Ron.

Old 11-16-02, 07:53 PM
N
njwg
Visiting Guest
GFCI

(Sorry about using wrong initials when inquiring about the Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter, but not to worry you guys knew what I meant.)

Ron, Brian,John, Thank you for your replies and help. The 'piggy tail' and/or use of CU-AL receptacles/switches was done in most of the rooms, but I'm not sure about the bathrooms of which is my concern now. One plug-in is on wall just above the sink....a no no I know.

Thanks again,
ng

Old 11-16-02, 07:57 PM
J
There's no code against putting a receptacle above a sink.

Old 11-16-02, 08:06 PM
N
njwg
Visiting Guest
I'll post when project is finished.

In one bath the plug-in is far away from lavatory so it's not been a worry, but in the other it's too close...I worry when the curling iron or hair dryer is being used.

Thanks.
ng

Old 11-16-02, 08:16 PM
J
You may then be surprised to know that the code requires a receptacle NO MORE than 36" from a sink. You are in violation if the receptacle is too far from the sink.

Old 11-16-02, 08:31 PM
N
njwg
Visiting Guest
I measured....three feet we are.