Wire size

Old 11-16-02, 07:12 PM
F
Fixitswife
Visiting Guest
Post Wire size

Hi, I am hoping someone can help me with a wiring question. It's like this: My husband has just built a woodworking shop. The power pole is set with meter in place carrying 220. It is a meter for shop only, nothing else running off of it. He has to run underground wire to the shop, 120 ft to a panel which is 125 amps. He needs some advice as to what size wire he should need to run power saws, air compressor, lights, etc? Someone told him to use No 2 wire but he seems to think that is too big. I appreciate any help anyone can give me. Let me know if you need more info.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-02, 07:19 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How many square feet is the workshop? Will there be any heat out there? Does he have or is he considering a welder?

If he wants to use a 125-amp main breaker, he'll have to use #2 copper. But he may not need that much.

Old 11-16-02, 07:26 PM
F
Fixitswife
Visiting Guest
Wire size

Thanks for the reply John. The shop is 16 X 20- 2 story. Will use an electric heater only occasionally. He doesn't plan to use the shop too much in colder months. May also use a window unit air conditioner. No welder will be used.

Old 11-17-02, 06:11 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
#2 copper or 1/0 aluminum minimum, is required for a 125A service.
Since this is a two story shop, he must be quite a woodworker. After all of dust collection equipment, saws and the like, you might need a 125A.
The incremental cost from 60A or 100A upto 125A is not much. You might kick yourself later if you don't choose a large size now.
Has the utility company given you a 125A service?

Old 11-17-02, 07:53 AM
F
Fixitswife
Visiting Guest
Wire size

Thanks Ron, Yes, the 125A service in the shop is ready for wiriing. My hubby was just not sure he would need a #2 wire size from the meter to shop panel. I agree with you that he may need it later if not now. Seems that the power tool inventory just keeps growing. Thanks again for you time.