kitchen light quit working

Old 11-17-02, 10:26 AM
john from rome
Visiting Guest
Question kitchen light quit working

the other day my floresent (sp?) light over my sink quit working. since my house is old and i've already had to replace another switch on the wall, i figured this switch too had failed due to old age. i replaced switch and no-go. i tested switch/line with multimeter which indicated no power. my learning process was to take apart a switch i knew worked, tested it, and tested the new switch the same way. on the good switch i showed voltage on switch terminals when switch was in the "off" position. no such luck on new switch.

it is an old house with old wiring and a "gasp" fuse box. switch box has two black wires and white wires nutted together. on each side of the sink and light are power outlets that still have power.

i'm afraid i'm a little ignorant in the ways of house wiring. not to mention testing house wiring. please help as i'm not that great of a cook and doing it in the dark is becoming dangerous!

thanks in advance

Old 11-17-02, 10:55 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You didn't mention replacing the fluorescent tube. Did you try that? Or maybe the wiring at the light is bad. If the load is bad, you won't be able to find voltage at the switch (since the voltage must pass through the load itself in order to get to both terminals on the switch). Really, the switch isn't a good place to test for voltage -- much better to test for voltage at the load.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: