4 way switch

Old 11-21-02, 01:29 PM
M
Mike50
Visiting Guest
4 way switch

How would I wire a four way switch with the four wire to a light so that the switch acted as a regular on off single pole switch? This is an older home and rewiring from this particular box to the porch light would be beyound a pain. I might add this switch went to another four way (in the bedroom) which then would also regulate the porch light. I do not want this switch in the bedroom. Can anyone tell exactly how to do this? Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-02, 02:01 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You mention two 4-way switches. A 4-way switch connects to 4 wires. A 3-way switch connects to 3 wires.I suggest you re-check the number of wires connected to the switches. You state---"The 4-wire to the lite"-????? A fixture connection is 2 wires. There are many possible combinations for connecting a fixture controlled from 2 or more locations.

Old 11-21-02, 02:06 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Are you saying that this is one of two switches that controls a light, and you would like it to be the only switch that controls the light?

If there are only two switches that control a light, then they are 3-way switches, not 4-way. 4-way switches only come into play when you have more than two switches.

I guess I'm now sure what you're asking.